Columbia Gas of Ohio is the largest natural gas utility company in the state, serving about 1.4 million commercial, residential and industrial customers across Ohio. The company is owned by NiSource Inc (NYSE: NI).
Headquartered in Columbus, this Ohio utility company offers reliable natural gas service plus home energy services. If Columbia Gas of Ohio is your natural gas utility, you can shop for a competitive supplier.
Compare Best Gas Prices in Columbus Ohio
Areas Served by Columbia Gas of Ohio
Columbia Gas serves the central and eastern regions of Ohio. They provide gas to over 1000 Ohio communities and serve 61 of the 88 Ohio counties. Major Ohio cities that Columbia serves include Columbus, Toledo, Parma, Mansfield, and Springfield. (Jump here to find out about shopping for natural gas rates in Columbus Ohio.)
Columbia Gas of Ohio participates in the natural gas choice program. You can choose a natural gas supplier that can offer you a fixed rate gas plan. That way you avoid multiple rate changes during the year. It’s especially important to lock in a low natural gas rate during the winter months.
You can compare these rates to the Columbia Gas price to compare, called the Standard Choice Offer (SCO). Just keep in mind that Columbia Gas’ price to compare will change monthly. It’s based on the NYMEX monthly wholesale gas price plus an adder. With the SCO Columbia Gas Price to Compare you have no rate stability. And that’s the benefit of choice — it lets you lock in a fixed price. (We never recommend a variable natural gas rate. If you want to pay a different price every month, and a higher rate in the winter, just stay with Columbia!)
Shop Natural Gas Plans in Columbia Gas Ohio Market
|Provider||Plan Name||Term||Rate per CCF|
|Ohio Natural Gas®||Ohio Natural Gas® Variable Rate with Discount||1||54.90 ¢||Details|
|XOOM Energy||SureLock 12||12||59.90 ¢||Details|
|Ohio Natural Gas®||Ohio Natural Gas® 12 Month Fixed Plan||12||59.90 ¢||Details|
|Ohio Natural Gas®||Ohio Natural Gas® 12 Month Fixed Plan with Greener Life||12||62.90 ¢||Details|
|Ohio Natural Gas®||Ohio Natural Gas® 18 Month Fixed Plan||18||63.90 ¢||Details|
|Ohio Natural Gas®||Ohio Natural Gas® 24 Month Fixed Plan||24||65.90 ¢||Details|
|XOOM Energy||RescueLock 12||12||65.90 ¢||Details|
|Santanna Energy Services||Preferred 12 Month||12||65.90 ¢||Details|
|Santanna Energy Services||Select Plus 24 Month||24||67.90 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 27||27||72.90 ¢||Details|
|Energy Harbor||Safe Harbor 24||24||74.90 ¢||Details|
|Energy Harbor||Safe Harbor 12||12||74.90 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 12||12||78.90 ¢||Details|
|Direct Energy||Live Brighter 18||18||78.90 ¢||Details|
|Energy Harbor||Safe Harbor 36||36||79.90 ¢||Details|
Shop Ohio Natural Gas Rates (Columbia Gas)
>>Shop Ohio Electricity Plans
Columbia Gas of Ohio History
Columbia Gas of Ohio’s history dates back to the formation of the Columbia Corporation in 1906 for the delivery of natural gas to customers in Cincinnati. In 1926, it acquired Ohio Fuel Corporation, doubled in size, and incorporated in Delaware as Columbia Gas & Electric Corporation. After expansion into other states, it later sold off all electrical subsidiaries and renamed to the Columbia Gas System, Inc in 1948.
As natural gas grew as a viable, inexpensive fuel source, demand grew greatly. By 1967 Columbia was the largest integrated natural gas system in the United States. Columbia was finally able to enter a period of less stringent regulation in the 1970s where they could increase prices in order to increase their supply to meet demand. Later as a recession hit in the 1980s, demand fell and Columbia faced financial difficulties. Columbia emerged from bankruptcy protection in 1995. In 2000, NiSource and Columbia merged to form one of America’s largest gas and electric utilities.
Columbia Gas of Ohio Ways to Save
With affordability as one of its primary goals, Columbia Gas of Ohio leads the industry in creating consumer programs that can help you save money. These initiatives include:
- Customer CHOICE®. The Customer CHOICE® program allows small business and residential customers a way to lower their energy costs. With this innovative program, Columbia Gas of Ohio purchases its natural gas supplies from non-utility suppliers.
- An online home energy checkup, which is a free, five-minute assessment. Customers will receive a personalized report on the energy efficiency in their home, plus custom tips on how to save energy.
- A home energy audit, which is a comprehensive assessment of their home’s energy efficiency. This assessment will be performed by a trained energy advisor. If customers receive recommendations for energy saving appliances, they’ll get a large discount if they install these improvements.
- WarmChoice®, a free weatherization and safety check for low-income customers. Eligible customers will receive a safety and energy inspection and, if needed, will get insulation, air sealing, furnace, and natural gas water heater repair or replacement and other needed improvements, all free of charge.
- Product rebates on smart appliances. When you install approved energy saving smart technology such as programmable thermostats, faucet aerators and programmable shower heads, you can become eligible for an instant rebate.
Help With Payment Options
Along with a wide variety of billing plans, Columbia Gas of Ohio makes it easy for every customer to make their payments, no matter their income or lifestyle.
They offer options for paying online, on the phone, in person, or by mail. Paperless billing is a popular option for those concerned with the environment, and their budget payment plan allows customers to spread their large winter heating costs across the entire year, making it easier to fit their utility bills into their monthly budget.